Friday, March 15, 2013

It's the People

My thought for the day: It's not about where you are or what you're doing, it's about who you're with.

For example:

Every Monday night, you find me in my PJs, snuggled up on my best friend's couch watching The Bachelor.  Do I really like the show that much that I have to drive 15 minutes to watch the DVR'd episode late at night?  No, not really.  Do I love spending 2 hours a week with those same 4 people enough to deal with the drive and the late night?  Absolutely.

Once in a while, you'll find me sitting on a couch watching 4 boys play video games.  Do I have any idea what's going on?  Nope.  Do I have any video game talent whatsoever?  Nope.  Do I love all 4 of these boys like brothers, enough to make me sit through video games?  Absolutely.

Before going to college, buying football tickets seemed like a huge waste of money.  Do I love football?  Nope.  Do I really understand all the calls and plays?  Nope.  Do I keep track of records and rankings? Nope.  Do I love donning that black and gold on Saturday mornings in the fall with thousands of other fans?  Absolutely.  (And have I learned to love the game?  Absolutely.)

Tonight, I went to see the new Oz movie with my family.  Did I really want to see it?  Nope.  Did I really think it was a quality movie?  Not really.  Was I loving every second my family was together?  Absolutely.

Two years in a row of spring break at Panama City Beach.  Did I really have the money for that?  Nope.  Was I that big of a party kid that I wanted to go be drunk on a beach for a week?  Not really.  Was I thrilled to have a week on a beach with my best friends without a single thought for work or homework?  Absolutely.

A summer job as a supervisor at a waterpark.  Do I love sweating like crazy for 8 hours a day?  Nope.  Do I love the oil burns, the crabby customers, and the sore muscles at the end of the day?  Definitely not.  Do I love the relationships I've found in my fellow slaves?  Absolutely.

Applying for a leadership role for Dance Marathon my senior year of college.  Did I really have the time for that?  Nope.  Did I really have the money and energy to spend on that?  Nope.  Did I believe in the kids we fought for and the people who were fighting alongside me?  Absolutely.

It's the people that make the moments, not the places, or the events, or the things.  It's the people.

Always, always the people.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you wrote this. The way you listed an event, asked a question, discussed the drawbacks and then explained how it was worth it because of the people you were with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this slice. I might do one myself. Thinking about the people in our life who impact us everyday, nice.

    ReplyDelete