Thursday, March 7, 2013

iPod Memories

Listening to my iPod today, I started thinking about how songs have the power to take me back to a memory, a person, a place.  So, I'm putting my iPod on random, seeing where the memories take me.  This might end up being a pretty long list, but I'm honestly so fascinated by this idea, I can't really help it.  :)

Drunk on You - Luke Bryan
Spring Break, senior year of college.  When I think about what happiness means, I think of that week.  Surrounded by people who meant/mean the world to me, living life to the absolute fullest.

Whenever You Remember - Carrie Underwood
Prom, senior year.  My date "got sick" so I got to share one dance with R, the person I really wanted to be there with anyway.

Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap
That moment in the O.C.  You know what I'm talking about.

Why Georgia - John Mayer
Listening to J & B play guitar in a dorm room, serenaded to sleep by the soft notes they were playing.

I Like How It Feels - Pitbull
55 incredibly amazing people come to mind for this one.  A family.  These people changed my life for the better in every way imaginable, and this song embodies that for us.

Be My Escape - Relient K
Gathering for a high school retreat and reconnecting with an old friend.  I learned so much about myself that weekend.  So thankful for everyone involved.

Love Shack - The B-52's
A funnel cake hut and a fast friendship.  And lots and lots of sweat.

Unwritten - Natasha Bedinfield
The backseat of an astro van, en route to some Girl Scout event or another, car dancing like nobody's business.

Mamma Mia - ABBA
Finals studying with E, sitting on an unfolded futon with books everywhere.

Rack City - Tyga
This was the first time I ever noticed one of J's Facebook posts, because it was posted just after I really noticed him.  This song has been him ever since.

Without You - David Guetta
A mini Dance Marathon, interpretive dancing with my best friend.  I didn't realize at the time that this song describes perfectly how I feel without her.

Give Me Everything - Pitbull
G grabbed my hand one night at the line that says, "Grab somebody sexy tell em hey."  He loved me.  He really did.

Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye
THE breakup.  The one that destroyed me in ways I never thought possible.  The one that I hate to admit still kind of hurts.

Year 3000 - Jonas Brothers
Rocking out with L on our way home from work.  My favorite part of the work day.

More Than Miles - Brantley Gilbert
Making a big decision.  Knowing both choices would create a difficult situation.

You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift
We were laying in the grass, soaking up some early springtime sun on the Pentacrest, talking and laughing as usual.  I wondered why in the world we never got together.  I still do.

Don't Wanna Go Home - Jason Derulo
Bathroom cries in a big green house, pinky promises, and princess crowns.

Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
A crammed couch, a crammed minivan, and Dick's Sporting Goods late at night to celebrate a big win.

Boyfriend - Justin Bieber
A waterpark, and a little bit of everything inside of it.

Beauty and the Beast - um, Mrs. Potts?
A Halloween night slow dance in a dorm room.  The night before everything blew up.

She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy - Kenny Chesney
The most perfectly executed surprise I have ever experienced.

Feels Like Tonight - Daughtry
The first time I ever had to choose between the nice guy and the bad boy.  I made the wrong choice that night, but I will always remember that D was the right one.

My Little Girl - Tim McGraw
Daddy tucking me in to be every night.

Dream On - Aerosmith
My favorite movie in the entire world.

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye
Bike rides in the rain.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hero - Enrique Iglesias
Some awesome Halloween costumes and a tutu that I wish I had reason to pull out of my closet more often.

Oh wow.  This could truly go on forever.  I think it's about time to stop for the night though. :)

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of music as a collecting strategy. This is such a great idea! I can't wait to suggest it to teachers! I might even it try it myself.
    Thanks for the inspiration. Music, like food, always brings back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool! I bet middle schoolers and older would love it. I think I'm going try it in my notebook... maybe make a poem from my thoughts...the soundtrack of my life. This makes me think of teachers who have students choose songs that could be on the soundtrack for a book that has been read--and to justify the thinking behind the choice. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be fun to start paying attention to the songs that mean a lot. I often get the feeling of a particular place when I hear a song. Brings you back to that place, that feeling, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post! I identified very strongly with some of these memories. I love that your sparse descriptions (particularly Give Me Everything and Somebody I Used to Know) are so full of emotion and they are all you need to make your reader feel exactly what you were feeling in that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, such an awesome idea for a post! I think everyone can agree with you on this idea that songs hold memories or spur our imaginations to things and connections in ways that nothing else can. They evoke so much emotion within us. Your list was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete