Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What's my job again?

I don't think I ever realized that being a teacher would also make me a nurse/miracle worker.  The "emergencies" my kiddos have on a daily basis never cease to amaze me, but it's fun being able to fix them!  For example, stomach aches can almost always be fixed with a reminder to go to the bathroom.  It's amazing how fast headaches disappear when it's almost time for lunch.  And most little body aches can be fixed with a band-aid - regardless of whether skin has been broken.  However, sometimes, there's are more pressing emergencies, and I amaze myself with the remedies I know!

One little girl told me, "Miss Magee, there's something in my eye and it really hurts and I'm pretty sure it's a branch."
Diagnosis: Blink a whole bunch.
Cured!

I was told one of my students felt like there was a knife in his side.
Diagnosis: 3 deep breaths and a drink of water.
Cured!

Just yesterday, a boy came up to me frantically clutching his chest.  "Miss Magee!  I think my heart stopped beating!"
Diagnosis: A deep breath and a re-positioned hand.
Cured!

I know I'm not actually a nurse.  I know I can't actually cure real ailments.  But it's kind of fun being a miracle worker once in a while :)

2 comments:

  1. We are and they believe we are which is why it's so magical. I find myself laughing (on the inside of course) at some of the remedies I dispense. I like yours too..particularly "blink a whole bunch." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me chuckle... you're a miracle worker! Never underestimate the power of a few deep breaths and a drink of water... cured!! :)

    ReplyDelete